Wednesday, February 20, 2019

first contact sent to a farmer!

I have just sent my first missive to a farmer asking for permission. I am not holding my breath as it appears to be notoriously difficult to gain a farmers trust and get access to his or her land... perhaps this is not surprising really, as metal detectorists can open whole cans of worms if they find anything important, and I daresay some act in irresponsible ways.

The farm I have contacted has a disused roman road running through it which may prove fruitful, but equally may mean the farmer has already granted permission to other detectorists, or is being continually harrassed by people such as me.

Here is a copy of the mail I sent. I decided to use email as it is less hassle for the recipient, and saves paper. On the down side it can be deleted instantly and forgotten about.

Dear ................
 I do hope you don't mind me contacting you. My name is ............ and I am writing to you to ask for permission to come metal detecting on your land. I am contacting you by email as it is probably more convenient for you and saves paper!
I am fully insured with third party civil liability cover, no damage at all is done by my detecting and any holes are always small and well filled in.

I am a member of the National Council for Metal Detecting which is recognised by The National Farmers Union, and I am completely aware of the law of reporting items that could be classified as Treasure. Of course I would show you anything that I find that is interesting first.

If you are willing, I would like to come and see you to discuss this at your convenience.

I do hope you can consider my request. and if you need any more information from me, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks for your time.
kind regards

The wording is lifted almost word for word from Dave Crisp's book Metal Detecting, all you need to know to get started, which I thoroughly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment